While I traditionally use my legislative updates to share with you what we are doing in Frankfort, I would like to use this one to seek your opinion on some of the issues facing our Commonwealth. Below is my 2023 Regular Session Legislative Questionnaire, which I hope you will take a few moments to complete. Please understand that I am not endorsing any of these proposals. Instead, the questions are based on pre-filed bills and other proposals being discussed. By sharing your opinions on these issues, you will help me better represent our district.
I hope you will take a few moments and complete this questionnaire and mail it to my Frankfort office at 702 Capital Avenue, Annex Room 316, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601 or email it to me at James.Tipton@lrc.ky.gov.
1. During the 2022 Regular Session, lawmakers passed a tax reform measure (HB 8) that will cause the state individual income tax to decrease incrementally until it is eliminated entirely. How important is lowering taxes to you?
____ Very Important
____ Not Important
2. Please rate how concerned you are that your family will experience hardship because of the recession?
____ Very Concerned
____ Somewhat Concerned
____ Not Concerned
3. Do you support legislation that sets additional work requirements for people receiving public assistance through welfare programs?
4. Do you support increasing childcare assistance for parents who want to enter the workforce, even if it means cutting benefits for those who choose not to work?
5. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, more than 43% of Kentuckians who should be working are not. What do you believe is the number one barrier to entering the workforce?
____ Desire to Work
____ Substance Abuse
____ Child Care
____ Vaccine Mandates
____ Fear of Losing Government Benefits
____ Other (Please list) _______________________________________________________
6. The budget legislators passed in January includes more than $4.5 billion a year in funding for K-12 education in Kentucky public schools and school districts have the ability to raise revenue locally. Do you believe school districts are adequately funded by the state?
7. Would you support an amendment to the Kentucky Constitution which would allow state vouchers to
pay for the public or private school of a parent’s choice?
8. What are you most concerned about? Please rank the following with 1 being your greatest concern.
____ Rising Cost of Living
____ Mental Health
____ Substance Abuse
____ Child Abuse
____ Other _______________________________________________________
9. Do you believe Kentucky should automatically restore the voting rights of convicted felons once they complete their sentences?
10. How would you describe the condition of roads and bridges in our area?